www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Sunday, June 13, 2010

ice and compression



We had what to all appearances should have been a splendid day. Sunshine. Allergies were minimal, temporarily. A cool breeze to offset the blazing sun (summer has arrived, after a cold wet spring). Our local street painting festival, one of our favourite events of the year.

For various reasons, the day went sour. First for him, then me. The chalk festival was as inspiring as ever, but some expectations for the day were unmet for my English hubby. Other events transpired and my mood, tenuous at best these days, spiraled downward. To the point that when English hubby, at home later, said that he was going to head out for a hike on his own, my thoughts were "Just go, already!"

Moments after leaving, he collapsed back through the doorway having twisted his ankle on the way down our steps. It's a severe sprain, his ankle obscenely swollen. All evening he iced it for 20 minutes every hour, knowing that he would then suffer through excruciating cramps before his foot warmed up again. Then cringing as I wrapped it tightly until the next time a bag of frozen blueberries was called to do its work.

Sweetpea, having been shushed and shooed away while her Daddy writhed in pain, did what she does best - retreated to her room to make him a card, the drawing on which cracks him up.



English hubby spells s-h-i-t, forgetting that Sweetpea now knows how to read. She promptly writes it down and asks what it means. I alternately stifle hilarity, engage in discussion of what words are appropriate for a six year old to use, and wonder if we've overprotected her given that she's never heard it and that she calls h-a-t-e the H-word, which I also think is hilarious.

I contemplate my navel and wonder not only when lungs capable of sucking in a full capacity of oxygen will return, but when joie de vivre will knock again at my door. I recall the best advice I ever received at a time of hitting emotional rock bottom, from my father, who said "Sometimes you just have to walk it, babe." I'm walking it. I choose health and happiness. I choose. Can anyone hear me?

Our moods improve while watching toads deliberately fall from cliffs like Wile E. Coyote (oof! ouch! ack!) to escape their predators on the Discovery Channel Life series. English hubby, resting his foot on three pillows, strokes my hand. We discuss the day and although neither of us believes in fate, acknowledge that a sprained ankle diverts the attention nicely. I bring him Advil and more ice, and gather pillows and pajamas for his no doubt restless night in the guest room.

I wonder if ice and compression work on the psyche.

10 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. And I thought I was having some struggles lately.

    We love you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweetly and wonderfully written. Sorry your day went down hill but then up again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two events from this weekend past: 7-yo Daughter singing quietly to self, quoting lyrics from extra-loud bowling alley music: "I want to be a billionaire so fri*king bad"--- the sentiment is probably more objectionable than the language, and yet which one did I choose to take up with her?

    Next day, breakfast out at a local coffee shop, woman at the next table liberally salting her not-nearly-quiet-enough conversation with sundry four letter words. No fallout heard yet but I'm sure tiny ears were wide open.

    Oh well, at least we have enough to eat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that card is PRICELESS 'i'm sore that you got hurt' OH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @smolin: I will expect a follow-up on the fallout from sundry curse words...
    @scottish lash: It may come to pass...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about what to write here. This is,ins ome ways, a fascinating glimpse into how relationships work, though you probably didn't mean it that way (or maybe you did). I have moments when I just can't let go of what is bothering me, and it becomes almost self-indulgent, like nursing my wounds far longer than needed (not that yours is like this) and there are moments when my husband seems stuck too, and when our own personal negativities coincide, it can be perilous. But sometimes having an event that distracts us from ourselves is exactly what is required. I probabaly wouldn't call it fate either, but fortuitous, perhaps. I hope Ehub has recovered from his sprain.

    Hey, did you guys watch the US England soccer match?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The card is perfect. I really like her use of "the H word" too. Pretty darn cool. I hope today is much less sour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You write so beautifully, even a bad day sounds nice! I hope E-hubs ankle heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Expectations are the enemy of happiness. But is it possible to be human and not have them?

    This post has given me a great idea. Next time my husband is driving me nuts, I'll push him down the stairs and all will be well.

    Hope he is healing and that your awful allergies are improving.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails