tent city in the living room
Although we haven't talked about it, I am sensing that Sweetpea might be feeling as I do about school starting next week. That she's looking forward to it, but is also aware that our quiet days of not doing much at all are numbered.
She's enormously social normally, always wondering when and where the next play date will be. But this week she has been content to run errands with me, holding hands as we walk from car to store. She wants to play with me constantly - pretend, a board game, tea party. She follows me around like she did as a toddler, when I'm on the phone, tidying, having a shower. She wants to help make dinner. Tonight when going to bed she was unable to fall asleep and I stroked her head and soothed her like the baby she once was. And she fell asleep just as quickly as she did then.
This afternoon we were happy to be home after a morning trip to the city for some supplies. We made a tent. She built a fort on the couch and had her snack inside it, content to watch a show and then whisper quietly with her stuffed puppy.
I'm filled with contentment and gratitude, fortifying myself with those feelings as I think she is also doing. Life is going to get busy soon - work for me, school for her, figuring out all the what nexts.
But for now we have built some walls around us. The doors aren't locked, the windows are open, and we'll be out soon - blinking at the light and stepping forward.


I had to look at your post name twice as I thought it said "fornication" -- and was wondering what tale Mosey was going to spin out of a subject like that....
ReplyDeleteI think the problem was I was reading blogs while the coffee was brewing-- oh my -- time for me to go back to school and get my head in the game -- can't even read anymore.
I envy the nesting and fort building --- nice to snuggle in like that on so many levels --- we tend to do that in the fall..
we on the other hand now are whirling between final organization projects and trips to the pool, crazy cleaning and day trips, drop offs to good will and visits to Ikea for meatballs and ideas on home organization.....
both of us sucking the life out of summmer before it's back to school for both of us... there I said it -- the s word....
enjoy your time -- can't wait for the first day of school shot...
ps verification word -- cuttere -- aka clutter -- how appropriate...
HA! I thought I saw "fornication" too... or I wanted to see that word and see what you would say about it... What does that say about the Mosey readers? ;-)
ReplyDeleteBut since that is not the topic, I'll say that it sounds like an exciting new beginning for everyone. I used to love the start of a new school year as a kid. I am glad you are enjoying the last few days.
Ha. I saw the picture first. And yes, we feel a bit battened down as well. Also, I'm in denial about school shopping list. I do not have children old enough for school shopping lists. Except that I do.
ReplyDeleteOur school district doesn't send out class/teacher assignments and shopping lists until the last possible second. She starts school Wednesday, the mail will probably come Tuesday. So I'm not even going to worry about it. If they can't get their s*&# together, why should I?
ReplyDeleteAwww what a sweet post. Love that pillow fort - we used to do that as kids. My daughter still follows me around everywhere as she's not quite two yet. I look forward to being able to shower alone! ha!
ReplyDeleteVery sweet. It is nice that you wrote about this time and made photographs. It will be fun to look back and remember.
ReplyDeleteYes! Right here, right now.
ReplyDeleteLove the photos (always!) and the description. It made me feel so... cozy. A nice antidote for weather that otherwise seems so unseasonal. (I did not read the title as "fornication," but a post on that subject would get my attention! :-}
ReplyDeleteMy kids have already started school and I'm going crazy right now without them filling up my house with their sounds :( But I do get to play the Wii more now. So I guess it evens out, LOL
ReplyDeleteYour writing brought tears to my eyes. We're winding down our summer lazy days and all three of mine will be off to school in two weeks. Deep down i'm not looking forward to it.
ReplyDeleteOh how I love the fort. ha.
ReplyDeleteMine start school tomorrow. I am so ready.
That brings back memories of when I was a child. Loved to build forts like that. My boys not so much. I always dreaded sending my boys off to school, hated for that routine to begin again. Nice that you have this time together, and wonderful that you are so aware of this fleeting time and truly in the moment. That can be so difficult with little ones at times.
ReplyDelete