English hubby and I have a mantra of sorts that came to be when Sweetpea was a toddler.
You can't manufacture a good time.
Apple Farm, Philo, CA (a favourite stop on the way home)
This isn't as negative as it might sound. It was our way of being content in circumstances beyond our control. That no matter the planning and anticipation, sometimes events don't quite work out the way we intend. But you make the best of it and ultimately, you look back at those times with fondness or at least a sense of humour.
Such was our camping trip this past weekend. A two hour drive became five when we broke down in a cellular service-free valley 20 miles from the campground. Sweetpea and English hubby traipsed half a mile up a long driveway to phone AAA from a winery just shutting its doors. For the next two hours we waited, trying to text our friends at the campsite to let them know we'd be late, using stones to draw hopscotch squares on the driveway of the winery. We hope they didn't mind when they showed up the next morning.
A salt-of-the-earth local mechanic diagnosed a dead alternator, and put in a new battery with enough juice to get us to the campground and then back to his shop the next day, where he had a friend drive a new part from a bigger town an hour away. He delivered the car to us at 8 p.m. Saturday night.
A weekend of camping for the bargain price of $500. But our friends had drinks and food prepared for us and calmed our nerves with their friendship. Plus a gin and tonic or two. There were campfires and s'mores and walks under towering redwoods and swims in rivers and laughing kids and conversations that made us hiccup with laughter.
A bargain.

Dude! You camp? *shudder*
ReplyDeleteKidding. Well sorta at least. :)
I think life happens when you least expect it. It's good to be able to roll with the punches. Plus? this becomes that story you tell years later. Because of this? You'll remember a weekend camping trip years and years from now. It helps define it in your head a bit more.
great idea about the hopscotch games ---
ReplyDeleteglad the treats (liquid and otherwise) and the good conversatsion made it all better.
Wow, how fantastic of that mechanic to go to those lengths for you. And I'm with Issas, this trip will most definitely be remembered, the little set back will set down roots in your memory far better than if the trip had gone without any problems.
ReplyDeletelove the image of the hopscotch on the driveway. it's good to be creative :)
ReplyDeletePlus a FREE wasps nest!!
ReplyDeleteI love camping with you Mosey xo
I wish TX weren't so hostile for camping-we tried it once, and packed away our camping gear for cooler climates. It is always frustrating to have car problems, we had to replace an alternator a while back-but it does sound like a bargain of a weekend--the alternator would have given out anyway, right?
ReplyDeleteAnd I bet after such a challenging wait those s'mores tasted better than any you'd ever had ;)
ReplyDeleteOh how I love camping ... can't believe we didn't talk about this at dinner on Saturday!
ReplyDeleteSo great hanging with you - so glad I'm finally on my Google Reader now and adding you so I can catch up on everything I've missed!
Have a great Monday friend!!