www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

life is but a dream


You know how when you go on vacation, real life recedes after a few days?  And then when you're back in your daily reality, the vacation itself feels like a distant dream?

Right.

Four days in New York City, seeing the sights in mad dashes around the city, and being immersed in a community of women (and a few men), 2500 strong, that I've lived on the fringes of for over two years, was a trip.  In a trippy sort of way. 

I got to spend more time with my adored sister, whom I consider the writer in our family, four days after she and my nieces left my home to return to theirs 3000 miles away.  With my sister, I shared a hotel room with a dear friend whom I'm lucky to know and admire in the real world.

I got to meet seriously splendid women (Stacey, Issa, Kari, Caitlin) for chats in hallways and over frozen hot chocolates at lunch.  Others I met in fly-bys that made me wish for more time (Christy, Anna, Kate) and ponder next year in San Diego.  Ladies, I am so grateful for you.

I got to see my art piece beside other stunning photos in the Voices of the Year Art Exhibit and auction (due to go online soon), which will benefit Gulf Coast restoration.  I met and had a book signed by the talented (and adorable) Kate, from whom I recently purchased a print that is one of my prized possessions.

I attended sessions which inspired me, made me laugh, and filled me with gratitude that I have the opportunity to blog about my own little world, while around the globe women are putting their lives at risk to get their messages of freedom and change out to as many as will read it.  The breakfast panel on international activism with a radical, blunt, funny blogger from the middle east, a photo journalist from Sri Lanka, an Afghan woman gently sharing her voice despite the risks of doing so, and a Latin American activist was incredible.  I felt humbled and honoured to listen to their stories.

A few photos from the conference:

If you have trouble viewing the slideshow, go here.

And some from our whirlwind tour of NYC:

If you have trouble viewing the slideshow, go here.

+ + + + + + + + + +

I started blogging two years ago as a way of joining a community I didn't know I was missing.  One of the people I most wanted to see at Blogher was not able to attend.  Annje and I somehow found each other within the first weeks of us both starting our blogs and over the next year established a true, albeit virtual, friendship.  She sent me an antique tea cup after I broke one of my grandmother's; I sent her a book of which I had two copies.  At different times we angled to meet in San Francisco, Portland, and at Pioneer Woman's ranch (long story).  We still haven't met in person and she is soon to move to Chile, but we are resourceful and if it takes me showing up on her doorstep in Chile, then so be it.  I missed you, pal.

My newer photographic community in the Flickr world, led by my cross-country friend Tammy and culminating in mortal muses, is one that I am also grateful for.

+ + + + + + + + + +

And now.  I am done.  Literally.  I'm going to bed.  This past week was a marathon, as was this post.
Nighty night.

15 comments:

  1. I LOVED meeting you. Only wish there was more time. The whole thing went by in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Kate's sentiments. So happy we got to meet, however briefly! And I hope you do make it to San Diego next year - I'm seriously going to buy my tix now! I would love to hear that Pioneer Woman story - is it on the blog already?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw... you made me tear up first thing in the morning! I am glad you got to go and meet such great people. Did the convention make you look at your blogger self any differently? It seems you have struggled a little with that term.

    I wish I could have gone, that frozen hot chocolate sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful that you were able to attend. Just a wee bit of BlogHer envy here. LOL! Maybe next year the Muses can go together. What an amazing thing that would be. Or everyone can just come to Florida, since I don't fly. *hee hee*

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice that you had such a great time. I am glad you got to enjoy my little city while you were here! It looks like you hit some good spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love those photos. Truly, I am so glad we got to meet. Next year will be so much fun.

    Sigh. I still have BlogHerblues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely time! I want to hear the pioneer woman story too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome that you got to go to this! It looks and sounds like it was well worth it! I love your "art" piece. It's so modern and woman-ish. You do keep a lovely blog and it helps me to feel not so alone in motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness-- your photos are incredible! Such a neat weekend, and so neat to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am more emotionally exhausted by all the lovely blogher write up than I was by the actual event. Maybe that's not possible.

    Meeting you was an unexpected oasis in a sea of crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was so brave - it should have come with Kleenex.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Pioneer Woman story, in short... Ree offered a contest a while back to fly a bunch of woman to her ranch for a weekend of sushi (and more) at the Lodge. Annje and I were *so* positive that we would win that I think we were both packed and ready to go.

    So were 20,000 other women.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing the experience of a blog conference -- I was enlightened by all that went on there -- and the far-reaching community of bloggers.

    glad also that you were inspired as a blogger, a traveller to NYC, and as a sister.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i hope we get to meet next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was with Christy, Anna, and Kate all weekend ... how did I miss meeting you??

    Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails