First day of First Grade.
She was up before the alarm, dressed and bed made. She had met her teacher the day before at a quick visit to her new classroom, which just happened to coincide with the hottest day of the summer. Thankfully, it cooled off by the next morning.
She gave me a quick smile while in line to enter her class (the pavlovian bell rings, the kids magically line up), and then didn't give me or English hubby a second glance as she disappeared inside. I stood awkwardly with the other parents for a minute or two and then went home.
Like last year, there was a small sense of discombobulation on my part. I'm enthusiastic on her behalf, slightly wistful on my own that the baby/toddler/preschooler/kindergartner eras are part of the past. She expressed her own nervousness the day before, and teared up in the morning while dawdling in the bathroom when we sharply pressed her not to get distracted. Her words: "please don't do this today". Fair enough. Who needs that kind of pressure?
Although it's against my nature, I tried my best to make the start of school an event - shopping for supplies, a first day new dress. The going back to school dinner was her choice (Chinese chicken dumplings and Hong Kong noodles), with her choice of music (Michael Jackson). She had her milk in a wine glass and called me "Lady Servant". I told her not to get used to it.

After school, she came home and immediately made a book - her usual response to new situations and stimulation. She was excited to have her very own desk, although not so sure about having to sit at it ALL day.
I don't blame her.
She and her classmates started learning the Pledge of Allegiance in sign language. Although I have mixed feelings about saying the Pledge myself (being a Canadian by birth), I was impressed by the inclusiveness of learning it this way. Here she is saying "I" (I pledge allegiance....).
She's my proud little American.

This is her school. It's a surprisingly good approximation.
And so it begins. Again.
I'm having my own "first" day today: making lists and plans. Health, work, life. I'll keep you posted how it goes...
+ + + + + + + + + +



Okay, here is my list of "freaking out" over this post.
ReplyDelete1) That my sweetie niece is OLD enough for Grade 1.
2) That she looks TWELVE in that first photo.
3)That her drawing of herself at her desk looks like it could have been done by a grown-up for some trendy magazine.
What on earth is next? Thank goodness I still have 11 days to prepare my two for another year.
Sweetpea is just amazing.
Love Auntie Lianne
I love reading your observations of your daughter. You are so present. It's really beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful memory of a wonderful first day -- love the dress!!
ReplyDeleteLove that she makes a book to help her process changes -- so very healthy!
Have to agree with another comment -- you are a very 'present' mother and you know your daughter well. :)
Oh I love the dress. Sigh. My six year old won't wear them anymore. Opinionated little thing.
ReplyDeleteI love that she wrote a book about her first day. Writer in the making.
She looks so happy. Glad it was a good day for her. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful dress. My little granddaughter has become a young lady. Glad to hear the first day of school was good. May all the rest be special. All our love,
ReplyDeleteNanny & Papa
So glad it was a good start to first grade. I look forward to hearing about your plans as they unfold too.
ReplyDeleteLove her drawings... at almost 5, G still draws dots... on a good day!
Wow. Stunning dress. Stunning composure. Stunning art work.
ReplyDeleteSweatpea = stunning.
Be proud mama - job well done.
I'm so impressed with her - and do I spy sparkly pink shoes? Rock on sweetpea! She'll love to read this post one day you know. Have you made it into a book before? I did that last year via blurb, and I'm going to continue to do so every year...you should think about it - your posts are so wonderful to read!
ReplyDeleteShe is adorable. that little hippie dress and peace socks. wonderful!
ReplyDeleteReading this struck such a chord with Julia and me today -- we both loved the drawings, we both LOLed when we read the part about "Lady Servant" -- gotta love this girl's spunk.
ReplyDeleteRemember to take a pic on the last day of school -- you'll be surprized at how much she's changed -- if she's 12 now as Lianne says -- she'll be 16 by the end... how does it happen so fast?
Thank you for such a heartfelt post -- strikes a chord with all moms.
Lovely post, lovely pictures, lovely life. I so enjoy your blog :)
ReplyDeleteshe is so beautiful!!! i love that dress, too.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this one. Errrr... I enjoy all of your posts... your writing moves me and I get it.
ReplyDeleteI had my own first day, I mean, Jersey's first day a couple days ago too. She's 4. One year before the big time. AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I'm with you. It's happy sad.
Ok, the "don't do this today" line totally cracked me up. :)
So, so neat! What a special day for both of you.
ReplyDeleteOkay, the dress and shoes are divine!! I love when little girls wear them - hoping mine do on their first day!
ReplyDeletewow she really draws well for her age =) i love the photos and her cool dress =)
ReplyDeletewhat a sweet post...
ReplyDeletei have to know about that dress~
it is adorable!!!!
i have a 9 year old that would go crazy to have a dress like that.
please do tell
:)
your blog is great...
chasity