On our way home from a roadtrip to Tahoe-Donner a few weeks ago, a four hour drive which I probably don't have to mention is a century to a five year old, we kept her occupied with a kaleidoscope of music on the iPod. Yes, there was one tribute to Stereolab, but I firmly held the line at only one. Otherwise we ran the gamut from Bob Dylan to Siouxsie to Adam and the Ants to the B52's to Aaron Copeland. Hong Kong Garden and Planet Claire were repeated multiple times, as well as Rock Lobster, and I haven't been able to shake them from my consciousness since. At least it's not Barney.
As some of my loyal readers (all three of you) may have realized, it's been a bit slow around here lately. Writer's block is the most obvious excuse, but it may also have something to do with my scattered brain as I bounce from one project to another,
work first then home
then pay the bills and oh should I run the vacuum around
oh man I forgot to do that database fix and
how do I edit video again and oops I'm late to pick up Sweetpea from school and
hey can you come shoot some video for a cool project and wait do we need milk
okay I'm ready to work now but am I free for a coffee
and is that book in the shop window really called How to Procrastinate that's pretty funny but
it's certainly not a problem for which I need any assistance.
then pay the bills and oh should I run the vacuum around
oh man I forgot to do that database fix and
how do I edit video again and oops I'm late to pick up Sweetpea from school and
hey can you come shoot some video for a cool project and wait do we need milk
okay I'm ready to work now but am I free for a coffee
and is that book in the shop window really called How to Procrastinate that's pretty funny but
it's certainly not a problem for which I need any assistance.
It's enough to make me want to bury my head in the sand (and do ostriches really do that?). No wonder I go to bed dizzy every night.
I'm a bit of a bystander in my life right now. I follow English hubby and Sweetpea around and take pictures of them doing stuff while I furrow my brow and worry that time is passing by and I'm not taking anything to completion. I'm dabbling. I'm a dabbler.

Exercising both the mind....
...and body.
But I'm greeted with joyful leaps into my arms after school every day by a five year old who thinks I'm neat even though I'm cranky, and if my biggest accomplishment right now is being a witness to her accomplishments, then maybe I'm still on the right track. Or at least the parallel track to the one I'm trying to be on.
Latest accomplishment (captured by cellphone).



Love this post! Chockful of thing that made me smile and empathize with.
ReplyDeleteLove the video clip too...what is the word Miz S is saying?
That sounds a lot like my days. Where does that feeling come from that one should be doing something bigger rather than just enjoying the moment. It is an accomplishment to witness sweetpea's accomplishments... everything else will fall into place in time.
ReplyDeletesincerely,
one of your three loyal readers!
;-)
"Swing! Swing! Swing!"
ReplyDeleteI'm a pro dabbler too. :) great post!
ReplyDeleteYou have 4 comments counting me so that is more than 3 readers! I love your post so very true. I feel like I go around all day doing things and not getting anything done.
ReplyDeleteIs it obnoxious of me to take credit for the gentle push?!
ReplyDeleteI do know that a Toronto bird was twittering in your ear too.
Great to find this here - don't be a stranger :0)
my verification word today is "whist"
ReplyDeleteand that's how I'd describe your post -- a bit whistful....
Seek joy and solace where you can -- lovin' the sunshine you are having out there after a rainy cold week here in Ontario.
One of your Canadian readers...
What a great post! It sounds a lot like the cycles of my brain in a day. I bet you thoroughly enjoy Sweetpea! She's so full of life and energy and seems to soak everything up like a sponge. I look forward to M being that age.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to check out some of that music. Sounds like fun :)
What a neat outdoor chess set. I stink at chess but for some reason I like it.
I too feel like that does happen on a regular basis and remember to take the time to just let it happen and I often look back on how a weekend was spent and it seems like not a lot but it is just spending time together means so much.
ReplyDeleteLove the pics of the rock climbing and chess set. Very cool and wonderful reflections of how you are feeling.
Be a dabbler. Mosey through life. Enjoy it. The real truth is: nothing is ever complete. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to do more, be more. Just be where you are. It is enough. (Trying to take my own advice.)
ReplyDelete