www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Kid Philosophy



I'm pretty sure I'm not mature enough to be a parent. Not that I can't supply all the basic needs (food, housing, love, etc.). It's the big discussions that stymie me at times.

Not just the little ones like at age two, after I reprimanded Sweetpea for some long forgotten infraction:

"I don't like you Mummy 'cause I like Daddy."

But for instance, at age three (she was into the big questions then) here's what I had to cope with:

"How do we know who are human beings? A couch is not a human being."
-Human beings breathe and think and love.
"Are babies human?"
-Yes.
"How about a plant?"
-No.
"But plants breathe!"
-Yes, but they don't think or love or walk around like we do.
"Okay." (skeptical facial expression)

or:

"Where was I before I was in your tummy?"
- Well, um, Daddy and I think you were with God.
"You're not telling the truth."

Or again at age 3 and a half, after hearing about the death of a friend's grandmother:

"Why did she die? Will she come back alive again? What happened to her body? Did your grandparents die? Where are they?"
-(exceedingly long pause) Well, um, I believe that the people I love become sort of like angels to watch over us and help us when we need it, but that we can't see them with our eyes anymore.
"Just like when I'm in bed at night!"
-!??!? (Never having mentioned angels before this conversation)

More recently we've been having discussions about compassion, on one occasion in particular where I brought to her attention that she hurt a friend's feelings by ignoring that friend in favour of another group of friends. She'll often hide her head in a pillow and sob that she is obviously the worst person in the world while I feel like a piece of poo for bringing it up it the first place. Although I do want her to be aware of how she treats people.

I sometimes wonder if she chose me or I chose her. There are days when I feel I'm receiving the greater benefit from this relationship.


You have til noon tomorrow (Friday) to enter the Let's Go Guang! Give-away. Click on the goofy dragon over there at the top right corner, and leave a comment to enter.

6 comments:

  1. I smile in empathy with you on the challenges of raising children - I have to believe that WE become the better people for it. *sigh*

    By the way, that outfit on Sweetie pie is gorgeous...she looks SO the school girl. Love her and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. I think it means a lot that you engage with her in these kinds of conversations. And your sweetpea is obviously quite perceptive!!

    I love how kids have a way of teaching you what you need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that outfit too and have been hoping to find one for myself, although I'd probably look ridiculous.

    Funny thing is, Sweetpea calls it her "rock star outfit" but unless she's watched a Britney video lately (and since we don't let her watch cable, this is highly doubtful), I'm not sure of her reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd look all that great in the outfit myself.

    As for Sweetpea, wow! what a thinker you have there. Don't pretend that you have all the answers (you obviously know this already) 'cause she'll come to her own conclusions anyway. And it's much more interesting to find out what she has to say.

    Keep posting them here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So "umm I dunno" is not the right answer?
    How about "go ask daddy?"

    V. cute outfit.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a sweet post, you are a sensitive momma!

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails