From the spring of 2008 through to the spring of 2009, I was involved in directing and editing an animation project. It consumed my life, mostly because I felt strongly that it was a worthwhile project, and the passion of the two women who pioneered it was compelling - for them it was a labour of love and I wanted to help them realize their dream.
For me, as well as it being a professional challenge which I somehow sandwiched into the 20 hours a week that Sweetpea was at preschool plus evenings and weekends, it was also an opportunity to create something that I hoped my two nieces, both born in China, would enjoy.
Let's Go Guang is an animated series which teaches children from pre-school up to the primary grades about Chinese language and culture. Guang is a kooky Chinese dragon who magically appears in the lives of Ling and Kai, a Chinese-American sister and brother.The first half-hour animated episode is included in a beautifully designed package also containing a book/CD, educational information for parents and educators, fun flashcards and the pièce de résistance (in my opinion) - a DVD with the animated episode and a short live-action segment co-starring a then three year old you might be familiar with.
(hint: she features on this blog frequently)
Check out the promo:
You most definitely do not have to be Chinese to enjoy this product. Sweetpea is a big fan, requests to watch it frequently, and has followed it from the very early stages of rough sketches and dialogue. Her Chinese accent is scarily good too.
My friends at aha!Chinese, Janet Lin Lawson and Karen Wu Audi, have generously provided one of their gorgeous Chinese-learning packages for today's giveaway.
All you have to do is leave a comment before this Friday September 25 at noon and you are automatically entered to win. I'll announce the (randomly chosen) winner by 8 p.m. that evening.
excited to be the first one to post -- I'm up doing geneology research -- Irish Census 1911 - hey -- you and Lianne might be interested in this too to look into your mom's family...
ReplyDeleteanyway-- thanks for the chance to brush up on our Mandarin before we go to China with you.
excited to be the second one to post. I not only know my daughter would enjoy this but I teach a unit on China and it would be soooo much fun for my kids at school.
ReplyDeleteThanks for doing this I am now thinking about a give away for my blog thanks to your inspiration.
Excited to be the Third Post :-) Congratulations on your project, it's obvious how much you put into it and I'm sure it will do well. I'll spread the news in my circle!
ReplyDeleteIt is so great to see the fruits of all your hard work. Great job. congrats to you the creators. I remember when sweetpea did that demo. I can't believe it was when she was 3. How time flies!
ReplyDeleteHow cool to be involved in a project like that. And look at little sweetpea at three--so cute. Thanks for hosting another interesting giveaway.
ReplyDeleteYahoo, we've been looking for it after getting a taste of it at your place. And your involvement in such a great project while taking care of Sweetpea has been a wonderful inspiration, I mentioned it to quite a few friends. Congrats on such a great adventure...
ReplyDeleteSounds great!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful idea to help children learn about another culture and another language! Is this the "Dora" of China??
ReplyDeleteBarbara Latham
Xie Xie for a great Giveaway!
ReplyDeleteIf the work that went into it is any measure of it's greatness then you will have a huge success.
Congrats on the launch, I know it's a labor of love. I'm so excited for you and have been telling friends and family with kids about it!
ReplyDelete-CC in LA
yahoo it's out! congratulations on your extraodinary hard work. well worth it.
ReplyDeleteI love learning about different cultures and cartoons (just see my last two posts lol) sign me up.
ReplyDeleteThe package looks and sounds great. I've told my friends about it. And Claire says "it's cool".
ReplyDelete