www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, December 28, 2009

Mosey Christmas




After perusing our Christmas photographs, I'm flummoxed to share with you that we took almost no pictures on Christmas Day. I know this is surprising given that English hubby and I together could often be taken for Sweetpea's own personal paparazzi entourage. But it is true. So except for this particular gift... --->

...which was exceptionally well received and for which credit goes to a jolly elf in a red suit, I've got very little to show you. No individual pictures of child with gifts from family, nothing.



Except for this one.

And then I think the camera got buried under wrapping paper.

However we did take some photos the previous day, so to show my family (shaking their heads) that we actually did celebrate Christmas....

We went to listen to the carols at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco on Christmas Eve, one of the loveliest albeit somewhat austere cathedrals I've visited. We were a little disappointed by the acoustics this year - very hard to hear the choir once they processed from the back of the cathedral up to the front. Especially since we of course were standing right at the back in case a quick escape became necessary. And then Sweetpea sat on the steps by the font and behaved like a perfect little lady until she decided to show another prettily dressed girl her newly learned trick of how to remove her eyeball and pop it in her mouth (you know the one, don't you?). But the service still put us in the Christmas spirit, and I even sang a carol or two with my squeaky voice.


The cathedral after we came out...


...and the skyline of Nob Hill from the steps of the Cathedral.


Sweetpea was tearing around the labyrinth outside the Cathedral when we took this.


Then we headed over to take in the rarefied atmosphere of the Fairmont Hotel lobby where Sweetpea marvelled over the giant walk-through gingerbread house (yes, it's real gingerbread trimmed with real candy)...


...and posed with a giant Nutcracker.

...and took this picture.

Then we traipsed through our favourite under-the-street tunnel back to the parking garage. I don't know why it's our favourite it just is.


Once home, Sweetpea penned an obviously very serious note to Santa to accompany the shortbread cookies and milk, with nine individually selected carrots for the reindeer. Because she figured Rudolph would be with them that night.


As usual, we were spoiled and delighted by not only our lovely gifts, but by the love and well wishes from all around us, and by gratitude for the events in a stable under a bright star that gave us a reason to celebrate.

12 comments:

  1. Love the pics of S in her red dress - she looks breathtakingly lovely...not that that makes up for the fact that there aren't ANY of my sister on Christmas day. hmmph.

    xoxo anyway. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lianne, were you just poised with your fingers on the keyboard waiting for me to post this? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Those pics are better than gift opening pics any day. The silver nutcracker is lovely. You and EHub take some breathtaking photos... It makes me ache to go somewhere beautiful. I'm so glad you had a nice Xmas showered with love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to mention delicious pork tenderloin and yummy lemon down fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing your day with us - I was thinking of you when I was reading through Lianne's blog -- heavy sigh that you are all the way out there -- the blogging helps a bit I'm sure -- but nothing like the real thing.

    Spectacular nutcracker shot -- big and small -- like the glittery one the best -- and OPEN MOUTHED WOW when I saw that gingerbread production.

    wishing you lots of good cheer in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetpea looks so sweet! What a magical evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all!
    You hit the nail on the head, AM. Heavy sighs did accompany the celebration, as always. I was commenting to a friend on email that it's sometimes hard not to let the temptation to fall down the sadness well happen, even in the midst of the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pics of S in her red dress are absolutely stunning!

    Have to agree - cool gingerbread house!

    I smiled when I read that S got 9 carrots ready for the reindeers - I remember doing exactly the same thing!

    Great post! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous dress! I love the pictures you did manage to take. It seems you had a lovely holiday. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this post. I was experiencing a little mid-week Christmas let-down, and clicked over and your writing and pictures allowed me to live vicariously. The top pic of Sweetpea's hands on her dress is just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fabulous pictures! Sweetpea looks just adorable in that red dress.

    It's been nice (virtually) meeting you this year. A belated Merry Christmas to you and best wishes for a very happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails