www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Naughty or nice

I was commenting to English hubby the other day how sweet and helpful Sweetpea has been lately - clearing the table without being asked, offering to load the dishwasher, using her best manners when I compliment her on how well she's doing something. And in his inimitable way, he reminded me that with 7 days to go until Santa's arrival, she's not taking any chances with the naughty or nice part of the deal. Dang. I prefer to remain optimistic however, and believe that this excellent behaviour is permanent.

I've been working hard on my own Santa karma lately. I took Sweetpea, with friends, to a very sweet performance of the Nutcracker last weekend in the city. Since she has been asking for a Nutcracker doll from Santa since the day after Christmas LAST year, I thought that my Santa gift buying was going to be a breeze. "Hey honey, look at all the Nutcracker dolls on this shelf - which one do you think Santa is going to make for you?" (I'm sneaky like that) After the perfect blue sparkled soldier was duly pointed at, I had my friend buy it and whisk it into her bag for later delivery.

It was only the next morning that the perfect plan went into a tailspin. "Mumma. Do you think Santa has started painting my Nutcracker doll yet? Because I think I want the silvery snowy one instead." (crap) Although I gently tried to sway her, she was not to be swayed. In fact, for the first time EVER, she decided that we needed to write Santa a letter just to clarify which Nutcracker she wanted, since she hadn't specified when she saw him in person.



How could I disappoint? So I drove back to the city, to the last performance they were giving on Sunday night, talked my way in the door without a ticket and you know the next part, right?

They were sold out of the shiny sparkly silver nutcracker.

I got the friend who snuck out the sparkly BLUE doll to check the box for a website. I went to the website. Sold out. I searched the World Wide Web (that names inspires a feeling of trust that somewhere in the wide world something might be found, correct?), but I came up with NOTHING. I called local stores, I tore my hair out.

Finally, I remembered a small Christmas-themed shop in a nearby town and took my coughing hacking self there (doesn't this story get better and better?) only to find a GOLD sparkly doll. Without hope, I asked if they might have a silver one, to which my new best friend pulled out from under the counter THE.LAST.SHINY.SPARKLY.SILVER.NUTCRACKER in the entire universe. I handed over my credit card without even asking the price.

My shopping is done. I can give in to the coughing/gargling/sneezy cold to end all colds and await the joyous festivities.



This is pretty much what we've been doing lately (on this occasion specifically while I was driving into the city like a madwoman in pursuit of the perfect friggin' Nutcracker). Lie on Daddy (or Mummy) and watch Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck Christmas cartoons. Works for me.

10 comments:

  1. That was a great story! The last frigin' doll??? I felt so relieved that you found one! I couldn't think what you were going to do, after the clarification letter and everything. Well, I do hope she enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who will get the credit? Santa!!!

    You rock, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job mom! I would have never done that. I'm truly impressed. Lucky, lucky girl. Sorry you are sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Nutcracker "sweet" ending --

    I was worried that there wasn't going to be such a happy ending to your tale-- the things we do for love,, for Christmas, for our kids.

    Hope you are feeling better -- not good to be sick at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... that's lucky (now she had better not change her mind again!). I do think you deserve some major Santa karma for that. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No more mind changing - she understood the gravity of sending a last-ditch letter to Santa and knows that's the final communication we'll have before he squeezes down the six-inch tube into our wood-burning stove on Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mommy of the year!
    Although Santa will get the credit - her face on Christmas morning is all the thanks you'll need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the lengths we go to for the Santa gift! I'm almost looking forward to the day that they don't believe anymore so I can stop stressing myself out. We went through a similar experience a few years ago when Sophia HAD TO HAVE a Dora something or other doll. Of course we couldn't find one anywhere and my husband ended up finding one on eBay that cost us 3 times the price. Do you know how many times she played with that frickin doll??!! I can count on one hand. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! Both that Sweetpea was very specific in her christmas wishes (reminds me of a little me, perhaps?), and that you made the Christmas magic happen. It left me with a smile on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good mommy.

    Any chance on you finding a purple flying pony for my daughter?

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails