On Shutter Sisters the other day, one of the "sisters" posted a self-portrait with the title Proof of Life. She talked about how those of us with camera in hand rarely turn the camera on ourselves. Maybe because we don't see the same beauty in ourselves that we see through our viewfinders, or because it seems self-indulgent to set up a timer or do a one-arm-stretched-out type of deal. I do occasionally take self-portraits but normally with English hubby or a friend in the frame too, mostly because I like looking back at holiday photos and having at least one photo with me in it to prove I was there.
Even though this photo was taken with my cellphone and is thus of questionable quality, added to the fact that you're sort of looking up my nose (sorry), I took it to send to English hubby at work because I was wearing my new birthday hat (thanks Mum!) and felt like I looked kinda cute. Which is a rare occurrence. The feeling cute part, I mean.
It's too easy to take ourselves out of the equation when we are mothers, artists, partners, shower-scrubbers, cooks, bandaid suppliers. I know very few mothers who put themselves first, ever. Who take the time to blow dry their hair or look in the mirror and think "hmm. Not bad.". But that post was a good reminder to take a moment now and then to appreciate "the body my mother once carried..." and put ourselves back in the picture.

Great picture. Great hat! Great idea! You do look cute (and I have found that feeling cute and looking cute are often not the same--we probably look it more often than we feel it)
ReplyDeleteI am almost never in pics, and sometimes I like it that way, but then I regret it. When I am it is almost always with a tot, I am almost not comfortable taking a pic with just myself... hmm... Maybe I'll try to get one of myself and link to yours. (my word verif is matchi, which must be a sign)
Such a lovely post. I'm so with you on that one. In fact I just cropped me out of an old picture with my son that I was going to publish.
ReplyDeleteI tried to take some pictures after reading the shutter sister's post. I couldn't stand them. May I'll try it with my phone.
Your's is beautiful. We need to take more pictures of ourselves. I'm determined to take one that I'm comfortable with.
I love your birthday hat! You do look very cute! I bet you can look in the mirror more often and say "hmm, not bad"!
ReplyDeleteOn me that hat would look stupid. On you it looks artistic.
ReplyDeleteHmmph.
Annje, do it!
ReplyDeleteTopsy Turvy, do it!
And thanks all of you for being exceedingly nice.
yes indeed! thank you for turing the camera on yourself and contributing it over at shutter sisters! beautiful you.
ReplyDelete