Years ago, in my early twenties, while I was struggling against the faith in which I'd been raised, a friend of our family watched my spiritual consternation and gently suggested that I turn my attention to what spoke to me most deeply. For me, it was the outdoors. I grew up camping in provincial parks in Canada, swimming in ice cold lakes and rivers, climbing trees and walking trails with my family. Tying my love of nature to my faith felt natural. When I moved to California 14 years ago and was struck dumb by the endless singing stars over Death Valley and the crashing waves of the Pacific and the stinging fresh air of the Sierras, my spirit raised its head and took a fresh look around.
During our walk in Franks Valley last week, I took at least fifty photos of trees (and a few of two other subjects you might recognize). And although the melancholy of the holiday season is twitching in me and my faith still wobbles, I'm grounded by the air and the sky and the trees.
Take a course in good water and air;
and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own.
Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own.
Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
I never saw a discontented tree.
They grip the ground as though they liked it,
and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.
They grip the ground as though they liked it,
and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.
Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile,
and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
Wash your spirit clean.
and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
Wash your spirit clean.
All quotes courtesy of John Muir, poet and naturalist.









In the early days of my sister living in CA, the Muir woods were part of every trip I would make to visit her (pre-children!)
ReplyDeleteWhile K worked, I would borrow the car and head out. Once I reached the Muir woods, I wold dive away from the visitor centre, moving deeper and deeper into those glorious trees until I found some quiet spot to drink it all in. To this day, a photo I took amongst that beauty sits beside my computer, inspiring me to reach for that loveliness in my own creative efforts.
Thanks for a lovely and inspiring post.
Beautiful post. Beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteDon't sweat the wobbles - it's all as it's meant to be.
Love this post. Such a good thing to remember!
ReplyDeleteLovely! I had some struggles with faith in my early twenties and nature was my answer as well--that sense of connection with something bigger--(which seems to come with a touch of melancholy). I didn't resolve my issues of faith in the traditional fashion though--I wouldn't say mine wobbles, but I didn't return to "faith" as it is narrowly defined, as believing in god--my faith is in beauty, mystery, and moments of human goodness.
ReplyDeleteYou got some great tree shots! I enjoyed them :) I hope you get your faith sorted out.
ReplyDeleteThanks all, for the lovely and thoughtful comments. I'm comfortable with my faith as is and don't feel the need to "sort it out" per se. For me it is an ever-evolving and organic part of my life. Undefinable yet filled with appreciation for life and family, the world around me, and seeing the divine in it all.
ReplyDelete