www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas traditions



For a couple of days around the Holidays every year, I find myself fighting melancholy. Without delving too deeply into it, a lot of it has to do with two things - being 3000 miles away from my family (it's coming up on 15 years, and I still pine for home), and the other is to do with both the busy-ness and the commercial aspects of the season. I hesitate to sound scrooge-like or ungenerous, but I get depressed over what sometimes feels like an obligation to buy gifts. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pleasing the people I love with gifts that I know (or hope) they will like. But to return to a theme that seem to be popping up for me lately, I do long for simplicity.

I'm working on it.

And just maybe I could start a lot earlier and be more organized?

Nah.

Anyway, after that bummer of an opener, today the Christmas spirit crept in. We've been going through the motions of preparing, and just like forcing a smile or a laugh eventually makes you feel lighter, the joy is starting to well up -

Chose our tree... ...and decorated with Sweetpea who hung in til we were done.

Skated on some weird phony ice rink.
Sweetpea rocks her skating outfit.


Decorated a gingerbread house.
The gingerbread boy was eaten within 24 hours. RIP.


Chatted with a jolly man in a red suit.



And made the shortbread!

This is a tradition in my family. My Mum makes The*Best*Shortbread*EVER. We don't doll it up in my family - the shortbread is plain and unadorned and best enjoyed in the afternoon with a cuppa tea, or throughout the evening long after dinner's over. Or for breakfast. Growing up, Mum's shortbread was always stacked neatly on waxed paper in film tins from Kodak (where she worked before having me and my sister). She still does it every year whether she likes it or not - December 1 my sister, Dad and I start hounding.

I make 'em plain like my Mum, but Sweetpea loves her sprinkles so we set some aside for her to decorate this year.

It's the traditions and magical moments of Christmas that I'm trying to make sure I acknowledge for my daughter. This post over at cjane hit home for me. There's a sweetness and melancholy (there's that word again) to the memories of childhood, the warmth and safety and good smells and sepia-toned moments that make it important - even an obligation - to create that for our own children. So I try.



Mum's Shortbread
  • 3 scant cups sifted flour (your choice - white or whole wheat)
  • 1 1/4 cups of butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (pack it in there)
  1. Cream the butter, add the brown sugar gradually and cream together thoroughly.
  2. Add the flour slowly (mixer on medium speed)
  3. When stiff dough is formed, turn out on lightly floured surface (some folks knead, my Mum doesn't)
  4. Roll into a long cylinder of dough and place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. (Flatten the ends)
  5. Chill until it gets firm.
  6. Cut into 1/4 inch slices, and place on cookie sheet.
  7. 300 degrees, 18-20 minutes. Watch it! It burns easily.

Eat. Be Merry. Chill on the melancholy, life's too short.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the picture of me in my glory days of mini bangs.

    Feel for you on the commercialism...right there with you...I have put a limit on kid gifts now for that reason, and found that activities like what you document here are so important to adding in joy...

    Blessings, sis.

    Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. i stopped buying christmas gifts years ago and let me tell you it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The commercialism is crazy especially with b-day's the same day! Every year I say I'm making it simplier. Every year is gets more crazy. This year my dad/stepmoms family decided no gifts except from parents to kids. (Last year was a zoo) We took the money we would have spent on each others kids and all together bought food from Safeway and "feed" the turkey at the mall. Of course afterward we visited Santa to ask for all the toys!

    p.s. I love how cjane writes. That post got to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, I love the picture of the two of you it is so cute, Lianne love the bangs heehee. K I agree with you about your mom's shortbread IT ROCKS!

    Take care,
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS hard when you feel obligated to buy gifts, huh? And, it can take SO MUCH TIME wrapping and delivering when all you really want to do is snuggle under a warm blanket and tug your loved ones around you for days on end.

    However...your day looks DIVINE and I'm so glad the Christmas Spirit beat the Scrooge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year we decided to buy books for one another. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
    Thanks for posting the shortbread recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails