I do.
I routinely pick up those magazines at the check-out stand that proclaim "Easy 30 minute meals!" or special editions that include 100 slow-cooker recipes even though I don't own a slow cooker. And my Englishman can't eat tomatoes and at least three quarters of slow cooker recipes seem to include tomatoes.
And of course the real reason I like to read recipes is because I like to eat.
But I digress.
I grew up with a grandmother who cooked and baked like a dream, and whose recipes included direction such as "beat the bejesus out of it". I admire that kind of conviction.
I admire anyone who can throw a meal together with ease. I'm working towards having that talent, but I don't think it's an innate gift so I've had to work at it. Which is why I read a lot of recipes but don't cook from them nearly as often.
But here's one of my new favourite destinations for recipes with funny prose, pictures that not only make you hungry but also make you laugh, and comments such as "Is there a happier moment?" when kneading dough for homemade burger rolls. Even though I don't eat burgers. But she serves them with chicken tenders so that's okay.
Enjoy her video contest entry on youtube. It's the funniest recipe for Raspberry Almond Cheesecake Bon-bons you'll ever watch.

Ahh. Irreverence is so holy.
ReplyDeleteI nearly wet myself at the "beat the bejesus out of it" line. I would have liked your grandmother.
Thanks so much for your post. It's VERY VERY delicious. I admire anyone who can whip together some fancy writing with their mere fingers. Astounding. Truly.
I'll check in later for more of your wit and whizdom.
I could clearly hear Nanny T speaking as I read your post (and almost taste her peach pie and icebox cake)...great post!
ReplyDeleteAnd you are much farther along the cooking path than I - I do fine when I bother, but most times I feel exhausted before even opening the recipe box. hee hee
L
I don't know why I didn't catch this before, but you need a slow cooker girl! None of the recipes I make have tomatoes... but many of them do have meat, I know you don't eat a lot of that. If for nothing else, to cook beans, that is the easiest way.
ReplyDelete