After picking her up from school today, we went to buy some Christmas candle holders - three for inside our front window, and one star-shaped tealight lantern to hang from a tree outside.
I've been mulling over customs that we can carry over from year to year, something unique to our family. Although I still walk somewhat uncomfortably on the sidelines of the faith that I was raised in, my beliefs are definitely deep and personal. We don't attend church, but I do want my daughter to grow up with an understanding of the true meaning of Christmas and to create some traditions that are meaningful to us. Thus the star for hanging outside in the tree, and the candles in the window - to light the way not only for Santa but for anyone needing shelter on a cold Christmas night. There is room at the inn, open to all.
Tomorrow night (Christmas Eve) we'll head into the city to listen to the carols at Grace Cathedral before coming home to hunker down cozy-like for the next couple of days.
Here's a sampling of what we've been up to leading up to the big day.
Putting presents under the tree. I can't recall exactly why she covered her head - pretending she was a ghost? making sure she couldn't see the presents?
We waffled so long over buying tickets to the uber-expensive Nutcracker this year that we missed out altogether. Luckily the mom of one of Sweetpea's school friends bought tickets to "Sophie and the Enchanted Toyshop" (also a ballet) and it was a huge hit with Sweetpea. She sat through the over two hour performance completely rapt. Auntie L and Nanny and Papa - your ballet-themed gifts are going to go over big. The hood is a fashion statement, not a source of warmth.
A yummy pre-Christmas celebration with the Topsy Turvy clan - thanks to them for the photos. With the addition of some platform boots, Sweetpea would be rocking the Stevie Nicks look, no?
Washing the new bowls. No slacking off the chores in this house.
A competitive game of Connect 4 with Daddy. Sweetpea announces "I'm going to beat the pants off you". I have a feeling Papa might have taught her that one....
I hope the joy and peace
of the Christmas season
are entering your home and your hearts.
I think they've arrived here....
of the Christmas season
are entering your home and your hearts.
I think they've arrived here....







K, we hope that you and your fam have a wonderful blessed Christmas. It looks like you are already having lots of fun. We are in Ottawa enjoying the weather in the Nations capital. Take care, best wishes for a wonderful Christmas.
ReplyDeleteShauna and MacLean xo
To our dear family, I just love taking part in your Christmas preparations...Sophie always makes me laugh.
ReplyDeleteTake care dear ones...you are the best gifts we have...wrapped up in our hearts.
Love Lianne