Two weeks ago I managed to dash out of the house to a book event for the paperback release of Molly Wizenberg's lovely book A Homemade Life. My friend Topsy Turvy (a fabulous cook herself, which I can attest to firsthand) loaned me her copy over a year ago and soon after I pretty much read my way through Molly's entire blog Orangette. Her writing is simple and heartfelt. Yes, she loves food, but feels that her upbringing of cooking and eating together as a family is a key part of the package surrounding why food is important to her. She shared an anecdote about a trip to Paris while doing research for her dissertation (in a field unrelated to cooking) and realizing that her notebook was full of bakeries that she wanted to visit and that her research was taking a backseat. I remember reading an interview where she said that writing about and photographing food helps her make sense of the world. The book is a great read which I highly recommend and includes some terrific recipes.I too feel that sitting around a table and sharing not only a meal but quality time with family (and friends too!) is key to a good relationship with not only our loved ones but with food. Growing up my Dad would walk through the door at 6:00 and shortly thereafter we were sitting at the table eating my Mum's excellent cooking and rehashing each of our days. I recall a friend of my sister interviewing my family years ago for a college paper she was writing. When she presented her findings, her class decided that our family wasn't "real" because no family did that - enjoyed spending time together and having dinner together every night.
English hubby, Sweetpea and I don't often get to eat dinner together during the week since hubby's hours are sometimes late. But we make sure it happens on the weekends, and as often as we can on weeknights.
One of the attendees at Molly's book event asked which cookbooks she enjoys the most. She mentioned All About Braising by Molly Stevens, which she uses on a regular basis. I've been in a bit of a slump with my cooking lately so I immediately googled it when I got home. I've been looking for new ways to get different flavours and ingredients into my repertoire and I know braising is all about intensifying flavour by slow cooking in a well-sealed pot. We don't eat much meat in our family, but the book covers vegetable and fish dishes as well. I was sold.Tonight, for no other reason than I've never cooked with endive before, I made Braised Endive with Prosciutto. Because as many chefs and food aficionados like to say, there isn't much that isn't made more tasty with bacon.
I can't tell you how simple and delicious it was and - get this - even Sweetpea enjoyed it. As I was browning the endive she hollered from her bedroom "that smells good, Mumma!". When she first put a forkful of endive in her mouth, she clapped a hand over her mouth and puffed out her cheeks, which is her usual way of expressing disdain for whatever I'm making her eat. But then she chewed, swallowed, and proclaimed "it tastes good". As the recipient of the clapped mouth over puffed cheeks treatment more times than I care to remember, I felt immensely satisfied. And yes, English hubby loved it too.
Braised Endive with Prosciutto. Recipe from All About Braising.
(my photographs don't make it look nearly as yummy as it tasted)
(my photographs don't make it look nearly as yummy as it tasted)
Note: After making it tonight (which we ate over brown rice), I did find the recipe reproduced on Orangette with a few modifications. Instead of the required 3 tablespoons of butter, Molly substituted a portion of the butter with olive oil as a "kindness to her arteries" and says she didn't notice a difference in the taste. I used the full complement of butter, but will probably try substituting olive oil next time to see for myself.

Oh, I'll have to pick up "A Homemade Life" - sounds wonderful and appetizing. After just finishing "Still Alice" which was an incredible book but heartwrenching, I need to dive back into the joy of gathering around a table of tasty food.
ReplyDeleteAnd I need better pots, I've decided, after seeing yours in various photos!
I love food and cooking too. I'll have to check out those books/blog. I love braising, that recipe sounds good, I have never sooked with endive either. I have a recipe for chicken braised in white wine that is delish if you are ever interested.
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a family that had dinner together every night, and we try to do that too.
You inspire me. I want to have family dinner every night too someday.
ReplyDeleteMan! I gotta go eat somethin'...
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog. I thought you should know it brightened my day quite a bit!!! I'll be back!
ReplyDeletehttp://senseofstyleiseternal.blogspot.com/
wow I too must read that one it sounds amazing. I too am struggling with Still alice and dealing with my mom who has the dreaded disease it has been a tough read. I will be happy to also dive into something else. I too will try the braising it looks amazing. Great job!
ReplyDeleteOff to Amazon to order A Homemade Life... And your endive prosciutto dish looks delicious!! My mouth is watering...sigh. xoxo katie
ReplyDeleteI've added this one to my list and will be looking for it this week! Endive anything makes me happy!
ReplyDeleteI'm a big believer in home cooking and family dinners too.
ReplyDeleteThat looks really good.
your account of Sweet Pea's reaction to the new meal -- priceless.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the new adventures in cooking -- thanks for bringing this book to our attention.
Kim, I'm so glad you got the braising book - and even better, that you and your family liked the endive! Victory! Thanks so much for coming to my reading in Corte Madera, and for your sweet e-mail afterward. Many, many thanks.
ReplyDeleteI find it sad that an entire class would agree that your family wasn't "real" because they enjoyed family dinners together every night. I'm waiting for my husband to come home for dinner right now. Our coffees together in the morning and our dinners spent together in the evening are the best parts of my day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
ReplyDeleteI remember that course, and their reaction! I was insensed! You were (and are) the most "real" family I know!! John and I enjoy coffee together every morning and at least 2 of the three of us (Allie is now almost 18 and works some evenings)dine together every evening. These are my favorite parts of the day too! Hooray for family time shared over a wonderful meal!
ReplyDelete