www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

on a mission

My sister and I, in dastardly fashion, found a drop-in day camp that we thought the girls would enjoy, dropped them off this morning like hot potatoes, and escaped to the sunshine of Sonoma.

Okay, it might not have been quite so calculating as that. And we did feel *slightly* guilty leaving them under an endless bank of fog in 55ish degree temperatures with only light jackets while we went in search of heat. But they had a fabulous day and so did we. So there.

We grabbed a caffeinated beverage for the road and an hour later had emerged from the fog just in time for lunch at this lovely spot, where I had last eaten three or four years ago.



We sat on the patio, ordered from an unfamiliar wine list with our helpful waiter's suggestion and both said "wow" at our first sip (mine: a red from Lioco Wines in Mendocino). We then ordered a goat cheese sampler plate and mumbled more than a few "mmmmm"s as we munched our way through it, followed by some tasty sandwiches on baguettes (salami, brie, caramelized onion for me; a grilled cheese with tomato confit for her, plus frites which she kindly shared).


hellooooo, goat cheese.

We waffled over profiteroles for dessert but were already uncomfortably full so we headed off for a walk around town. Sonoma is perfect for strolling - nice shops, good smells wafting from various cafés, restaurants and wine tasting rooms, a grassy park with nicely placed shade perfect for after-lunch naps, and also great playgrounds if you happened to bring the kids. Which we didn't.

I managed to grab my photo assignment for the day outside the historic Mission San Francisco Solano, as well as a nice shot of the blindingly white barrack walls. You might want to put on your sunglasses as you scroll down.


("positive" space, for picture summer)



We finished off the day by returning to the atmospheric tootsie roll hovering over the hills above my house, and decided instead of picking the girls up early we'd end the day with a pedicure. We were sure they wouldn't mind. And they didn't, hollering "can we come again tomorrow??" when I picked them up from camp.

Believe me, we're thinking about it.


My dining companion, aka beloved sistah. Love you, sis.

11 comments:

  1. I have a big nose.

    And I want to inform those friends who follow both our blogs that we wrote these entries completely independently. Scary, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cheese platter looks scary good. Lianne? Hmmm... I was thinking Hildegarde. *hee hee hee*
    Sorry, private joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a wonderful getaway within the getaway -- good for you.

    and about the guilt -- glad you got over that.

    what did the little gals do at camp?

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like you had a great day. i am sure it was well-deserved! beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a little jealous... sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no,seriously, so so jealous. I can't get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful treat to spend time with your sister!!! I am loving all the spots you find. Seei g the grapevines makes me feel like I am home In Niagara! Thanks for sharing your special times withus

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds perfectly perfect in every way.

    And Lianne? You really are quite beautiful. A nose is just bone covered in flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best day ever. I want to come next time. I'll totally put my kids in camp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd leave my kid HERE to join you on a day like that. You had me at 'wine and goat cheese'.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails